You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Community Forum > Artifacts, Knappings & Other Treasures >

Cool cars

Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #181
DCoates

Liked 40 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Get a photo of it if you could. I'd just love to see it. Prewar 1/2 ton trucks are somewhat rare as they were basically rusted out and or used up and thrown away right after the war as the US returned to producing civilian autos/trucks. Dodges, Plymouths, and Studebakers are rarer on top of that as they were not the industry leaders like Ford and Chevy. There's not a huge market for trucks (vs. sexier coupes & sedans) so pouring a ton of money in them better be a labor of love as there's no real profit incentive.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #182
MeatHunter
Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Liked 1670 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Next time I'm over that way I'll take a few pics of it with my phone........I figured there was a reason it sat all these years and I suppose that's why. I haven't looked closely at it for a long time but, to my knowledge, even all the glass was still in place. I'm actually tossing around the idea of restoring the right old pickup.........looking at mid 60's - early 70's Fords or Chevy's.......Chevy is probably at the top of my list.......

"Young fella, if you're looking for trouble, I'll accommodate you. Otherwise, leave it alone."

Old 04-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #183
DCoates

Liked 40 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHunter View Post
I'm actually tossing around the idea of restoring the right old pickup.........looking at mid 60's - early 70's Fords or Chevy's.......Chevy is probably at the top of my list.......
Start watching the market to learn about it. I did a whole bunch of watching and classics.autotrader.com, classiccars.com and ebaymotors.com. I had a general idea of what I wanted. As time passed I got it refined and I understood what to look for and expect to pay for it. Rust is your enemy. You'll recognize an opportunity when it appears. Aim, aim, aim, then shoot.

You mention an early 70's Chevy. Ironically, the first auto I had was a '72 Chevy step side with a straight 6 column shifter. That was a great truck but so ugly (robins egg blue) and had no upgrades (air conditioning, carpet, radio) it was a very effective form of birth control. It did have an old school gun rack though! Heck, I can remember having a loaded deer rifle hanging from it in my high school parking lot from hunting in the morning, .. I digress. The cab could easily fit 3 people whereas the '36 Dodge will fit only 2 unless there's some lap sitting.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #184
MeatHunter
Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Liked 1670 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCoates View Post
Start watching the market to learn about it. I did a whole bunch of watching and classics.autotrader.com, classiccars.com and ebaymotors.com. I had a general idea of what I wanted. As time passed I got it refined and I understood what to look for and expect to pay for it. Rust is your enemy. You'll recognize an opportunity when it appears. Aim, aim, aim, then shoot.

You mention an early 70's Chevy. Ironically, the first auto I had was a '72 Chevy step side with a straight 6 column shifter. That was a great truck but so ugly (robins egg blue) and had no upgrades (air conditioning, carpet, radio) it was a very effective form of birth control. It did have an old school gun rack though! Heck, I can remember having a loaded deer rifle hanging from it in my high school parking lot from hunting in the morning, .. I digress. The cab could easily fit 3 people whereas the '36 Dodge will fit only 2 unless there's some lap sitting.
Yeah......I know "how" to do it........I just haven't completely convinced myself (or my wife) to go ahead with another project yet! LOL! I actually have a '26 Chevrolet pickup that my father and his siblings learned to drive in as well as a '70 340 Duster and a '70 GTX......being an engineer by career, I tend to completely engulf myself in what I do and am very particular and meticulous.......my wife, and earlier in life, my children seem to not like when I take on such undertakings because of that but.......by the same token........I'd really like to have a nice classic pickup to add to my collection and then I believe I'd be happy! (doubtful but sounds good)

"Young fella, if you're looking for trouble, I'll accommodate you. Otherwise, leave it alone."