You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Whitetail Hunting....... > Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation >

New Plot advice

Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
arrowthrower

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default New Plot advice

My wife and I bought forty acres of all timber last summer and built a barn house on it. While clearing for the home I had the excavation company clear off a food plot site. I have never put in a food plot before and want to make sure I do it correctly.

I am planning on spraying the plot in next few weeks as I have kept it mowed with brush hog. What should the timing be like for my planting and what does everyone recommend planting. My plot if almost a L shape with a small pond in the corner of the L. I have thought about planting the smaller portion in one type or mixture and the larger in a different. The total plot is prob around an acre to 1.25 acres.

Thanks in advance for all your tips. I live near Springfield MO.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
beanpile
just a no body

Liked 843 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 1904

congratulations on your new place the Barn house sounds awesome.. IMO I'd spray it all now and try to get some clover or clover Brassica mix in one part then later on down the rd say in mid/late Sept put in some wheat or just do one or the other and by yourself some time til you can get asoil sample done to figure out how to get your dirt up to par.. the clover/brasica takes minimal soil prep .. the wheat just a tad more..might need a small tractor 8N or see if a nbr has something that you could pay them to til up some dirt.

again thats just my 2 cents

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that there is something else more important than fear.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
WBF
Wolf Brook Farms

Liked 1845 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 5682

Soil Sample .
CodeRed Likes This 
Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 7852 Times on 5235 Posts
Likes Given: 748

Another soil sample vote. Make your decision from it. If its been pushed off you may have to look at building soil . Try to make your decisions around that . It will pay back down the road .

Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
arrowthrower

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have a small 38 HP Mahindra Tractor but I am trying to locate a 3 point disc for it but don't wanna break the bank on one. I will get a soil sample tomorrow and see what that looks like. I would like down the road have the smaller portion be a nice clover plot and then the larger will get planted every year or vice versa. I think with a little work and planning it will be a nice place to hold deer. I did leave a couple trees in the plot because they were white oaks and thought they would be a great place to catch deer once acorns start falling

Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
gurgalunas

Liked 776 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 524

I agree too about soil sample, but you may be short on time to really do much about it. Tell us a little more about your expectations for the plot, does it have much soil, or is it typical Ozark rocks and gravel?

Regardless of soil, first thing you need to focus on is controlling weeds, removing grass, and generally cleaning up any competition for your chosen plantings. This isn't a one time deal, so that would push me toward doing an annual plot this fall. Brassicas, crimson clover, winter peas (all planted early august), and cereals (planted mid september) all fit this bill.

Get it sprayed asap with glyphosate and don't disturb for 2 weeks while it's dying. Hopefully you haven't mowed lately, as mowed plants have less leaf area to absorb the herbicide. If so, spray now and be ready to spray again in a week if things are greening up instead of dying...

Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
WBF
Wolf Brook Farms

My experience has shown that brassicas -purple top turnips, radishes etc . do fairly well on new/Virgin pushed off/cleared soil) soil that hasn't been amended with fertilizer. Winter Rye grows just about anywhere and wil help add OM (organic matter) . Having enough time to pull a soil sample and make the proper adjustments can take time . But it is the most important factor when trying to establish a plot . I'm just trying to list some seed types that you would probably have a decent plot for this fall then make adjustments from your soil sample . Crimson Clover is another option . Crimson clover is an annual -- (annual plants are plants with a life cycle that lasts only one year. They grow from seed, bloom, produce seeds, and die in one growing season. They then need to be replanted each spring/fall. Annual seed offerings take off and grow fairly quickly because they don't take the time or use energy to lay down roots in preparation for a longer life cycle. That's why Crimson Clover is a better choice this time of year late fall if you want a type of clover seed/forage that wildlife can consume during the fall. You can blend your CC with ladino/aslike/ or my personal favorite Kopu II when you plant your fall clovers. You won't get as much production above grown with the perennials as they are spending energy developing a root system for the coming year. That being said a perennial obviously will not produce the amount of forage that an annual produces due to the perennial setting a strong root system.

You will get plenty strong/awesome advice here on MWT so you've come to the right place . One of the best food plotters around and luckily for all of us here on MWT is a "member" of MWT. BUT unfortunately he has been forced on a vacation ...... so until the mighty return of "he who shall not be named" returns.... Henry, Gurganulas, are filling in !!!!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #8
gurgalunas

Liked 776 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Saw your latest post after posting myself... Good on the tractor. That will make a big difference.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to establish the perennial clover plot this first season. Chances are good that the seedbank will erupt and corrupt a perennial plot, with no good way to clean it up chemically. Target next year after you've been able to kill, let seedbank sprout, spray again, etc. several times. Any idea what is currently there, so we have an idea of what the future battles will be? Fescue?

Once you have a good kill this fall, I'd mow it short and try to at least break the crust of the soil. Soil contact is important for the small seeded brassicas an annual clover. If you wanted winter peas in there, you would need to get them planted deeper, and would need to find that disk for sure. If only small seeds, you could probably do a pretty decent job with a harrow or drag of some sort.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 AM   #9
WBF
Wolf Brook Farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowthrower View Post
I have a small 38 HP Mahindra Tractor but I am trying to locate a 3 point disc for it but don't wanna break the bank on one. I will get a soil sample tomorrow and see what that looks like. I would like down the road have the smaller portion be a nice clover plot and then the larger will get planted every year or vice versa. I think with a little work and planning it will be a nice place to hold deer. I did leave a couple trees in the plot because they were white oaks and thought they would be a great place to catch deer once acorns start falling
You will get differing opinions regarding WO/trees in your plot. Imho the cons outweigh the pros. Especially if you have mostly timber on your ground that is established and producing acorns. Having trees in your plot: competes for moisture and will shade your plot and ultimately cover the plot in leaves. If you have plenty of WO and Red Oaks on you property I would consider removing the trees from your plot. I believe that you will notice after a couple of seasons of plotting on this particular plot that the area around/under those trees that you left will not produce or thrive compared to the areas of the plot that aren't effected by a tree/trees growing over or above .

How old are the Oaks that are in the plot?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
CodeRed
tutoring the most interesting man in the world

Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Antler Dirt