You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Archery > Archery Equipment >

Thumb or wrist

Old 07-17-2017, 02:49 AM   #1
SX3DuckHunter

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts

Default Thumb or wrist

What's your thoughts and experience on your preference of release? I'm in the market for a new release. I have shot both styles. I like the wrist style being that it's easily accessible when the moment comes and I feel like I can pull the bow back easier and hold longer with a wrist release but anchor points can be inconsistent and trigger punch is common. Shooting a thumb release I'm more consistent with anchor point and feel like I have a more correct release when shooting. I do like that's it's not flopping around on my wrist and not trying to strap it over sleeves or gloves. I'm torn between what I want. If I purchased a wrist I'd go with the tru fire hardcore max bc of the head flexibility. If I bought a thumb I'd either get the hardcore revolution or something I'm still searching.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 7881 Times on 5257 Posts
Likes Given: 755

I am a big fan of my fletch hook release. But I think a quality release that matches your anchor the best is the way to go. .02

Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
venatic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MWT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2693 Times on 1752 Posts
Likes Given: 1864

I really like my thumb release. I'm more consistent with it and when hunting, if you have your bow hanging from a hook in your stand, you can hook your thumb release to the D-loop and it's ready to go.
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 02:17 AM   #4
thux

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd say choose the one that you have the best accuracy with. If they are the same then I'd go with the most comfortable. I've only shot a wrist release and know what you mean by it always being there. It's great because you'll never loose it and you'll Always have it to clank around on your stand or binos.
Dafish Likes This 
Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 AM   #5
SX3DuckHunter

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts

Venatic which thumb do you like? I saw dudleys nock to it looks great but pricey

Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
antlercrazed

Liked 415 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I shoot a back tension with a wrist strap and I love it.It has a safety in it so I can leave my fingers behind the torque grip and pull back and it won't go off.Then once I settle in I just take two fingers An put in front the torque grip and settle my pins and pull back through my follow through position and the bow goes off by itself

www.hilltoparchery.com Mercer,Missouri

Old 07-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
venatic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MWT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2693 Times on 1752 Posts
Likes Given: 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX3DuckHunter View Post
Venatic which thumb do you like? I saw dudleys nock to it looks great but pricey
When I was looking at them on ArcheryTalk, I figured if I was going to go with one, go good. I went with a Stan Shoot Off. I bought it used thinking if I didn't like it, I could easily sell it and probably get my money back. I'm still using it and really like it.

I got the large 3 finger model.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:20 AM   #8
JNH
Senior Deer Biologist in my neck of the woods

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I have a carter just b cuz handle release and a tru ball HT hinge. Both were bought used for great prices. I would go with a good used handle release since you are more accurate and consistent. I feel like a wrist style release makes you more susceptible to developing target panic since your index finger signals your brain faster than the rest of them. Since going to a handle release I have improved consistency while shoot less and have not developed even a touch of target panic.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #9
slurugger

Liked 61 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Fantastic timing on this topic, I ordered a 4 finger chocolate addiction anxiously awaiting it's delivery. Try I g this from a wrist strap, seems like this new one will have a lot of adjustmeny. hopefully I'm not in over my head...

Old 07-20-2017, 02:38 AM   #10
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 7881 Times on 5257 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNH View Post
I have a carter just b cuz handle release and a tru ball HT hinge. Both were bought used for great prices. I would go with a good used handle release since you are more accurate and consistent. I feel like a wrist style release makes you more susceptible to developing target panic since your index finger signals your brain faster than the rest of them. Since going to a handle release I have improved consistency while shoot less and have not developed even a touch of target panic.

I'm glad you did too. It got me a good deal on a fletch hook.