You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Whitetail Hunting....... > Youth Hunts & Photos >

Smithville Lake managed Youth hunt question!?1?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
IMN2archery

Liked 36 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Smithville Lake managed Youth hunt question!?1?

I was looking at the available managed hunt drawings for youth. Is Smithville lake even worth putting in for a 12 year old. I cannot seem to find any maps of the youth hunting location. I do see that a large area is already open to the public on the north end of the lake. Is this the same spot as youth hunt? If so it does not seem worth putting in for an area that’s been beat to death for a couple months already for a youngster to try and be successful. Can someone here clarify what I am asking???? Thank you!!!!

Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
Vector
VECtor Custom Calls

Liked 2113 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Smithville Lake hunts take place on the waterfowl refuge and the park.

The area used to be loaded with deer. It is not any longer, though there are still plenty deer around. Its not an 'automatic get a deer' hunt any more. It was almost automatic before the park opened their own draw bow hunts and before blue tongue.

Your youth's chance of being drawn is consistently about one out of every three years.

It can be a tough weather condition hunt, being in December. You have to hunt from designated blinds. Some of these are VERY nice and that helps with the weather conditions.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
IMN2archery

Liked 36 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Smithville Lake hunts take place on the waterfowl refuge and the park.

The area used to be loaded with deer. It is not any longer, though there are still plenty deer around. Its not an 'automatic get a deer' hunt any more. It was almost automatic before the park opened their own draw bow hunts and before blue tongue.

Your youth's chance of being drawn is consistently about one out of every three years.

It can be a tough weather condition hunt, being in December. You have to hunt from designated blinds. Some of these are VERY nice and that helps with the weather conditions.

Thanks Buddy!!!!