You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Archery > Bow Fishing >

No fish?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Stape

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default No fish?

Went out this past Monday on the Missouri and was surprised to not see a single fish. I knew it would be slim with it being winter and all but I'm pretty new to the area and wanted to see for myself.

Set out some jugs then hit the Auxvasse. Water is really low and couldn't get too far back in there. Water was 2-4ft most everywhere with good clarity but as mentioned, despite the clear water, not one single fish was sighted. Summertime I'll fill a barrel out of that same stretch of water.

So, where do the fish go? I imagine they head out to the MO and school up in deeper water?

Old 01-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
421sd
Part-time malcontent

Liked 1463 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 3589

"Warmwater" fish will go deep a lot, and get up under rootwads. Somewhere where they don't need to spend much energy. Another thing a lot of people don't realize is that fish will burrow into leaf mats, mainly smaller fish and sunfish. The leaves are darker than everything else in the river and will absorb some heat on a sunny day.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms
Should be a convenience store not a government agency

Old 01-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Stape

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just to be clear I was looking for Silvers and whatnot to shoot. But, I didn't see any fish at all. Silvers, gar ect are pretty big, well, big enough not to hide too well. Water was clear enough to see the bottom. I cut the troller and drifted in the wind a bit to be ultra quiet and scanned ahead for wakes in the event I was spooking them, but still nothing. Guess I'll have to wait for water temps to start creeping up and keep hitting it up till they show. I'm getting itchy having not shot a fish in a month or so.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
fishshooter

Liked 563 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 349

If you were in that stretch I might be able to help ya, I bowfish that stretch a lot. When the water rises in the spring you can shoot them from the bank, when it goes down the Auxvasse is pretty good if it's clear but we shoot them jumping on the main river.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Stape

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Might have to get with ya sometime then. I bowfish A LOT, and the only other guys I've seen out, day or night, have been some guys shooting down from the bridge there off 94 once or twice.