You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Whitetail Hunting....... > Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation >

Growing Chinese Chestnuts in Containers

Old 07-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #231
gurgalunas

Liked 778 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 529

If we are talking Jap Beetle damage, yes, but you would have to reapply after rains wash it off, but that's true whether you use sevin, permethrin, etc. Not sure if any of the systemic insecticides work on leaf eating insects, or if the insecticides would concentrate in the nuts if used on bearing age trees (with effects on wildlife eating the nuts). Systemics absorb into the tree and wouldn't need reapplication after rain if they would work. Jap beetles have hit mine hard in the past, and really don't cause any long term damage, so I just let it go.

Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM   #232
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 7864 Times on 5243 Posts
Likes Given: 750

Whatever is eating on these is turning some of the leaves into webs. I will seven them this weekend.

Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM   #233
gurgalunas

That's exactly what Jap Beetles do. Looks like lace when they are done. And they do like chestnuts over many other trees. Apple trees are high on the list too, and beans.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #234
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 7864 Times on 5243 Posts
Likes Given: 750

They must not have liked the heat inside those tree tubes. No more damage this week so far. I will get some seven and keep it on hand, but they look good right now.

My runt tree is hurrying to catch up. Something ate all the leaves off of it when it was just a tiny sprout. I kept watering it and its growing out of it.

Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #235
CuivreDog2
Habitat Junkie

Liked 81 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurgalunas View Post
And they do like chestnuts over many other trees.
I have apples and chestnuts planted side by side in the same field - the jap beetles will choose the chestnuts every time!

Now sweet cherries - that's another story - if I don't keep them sprayed the jap beetles will choose them over every other fruit tree/chestnut.

"Doing all I can with what I've got on 145 acres of paradise in Lincoln County, MO."

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #236
gurgalunas

Isn't that weird. I've got apples, peaches, cherries and pears in my home orchard, and they favor Liberty Apple over all else.