You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Turkey > Turkey Hunting General >

Teach Me How to Turkey Hunt

Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #61
Hooks

Liked 2123 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 1695

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullfan View Post
Watch every one of this guys videos and learn how to call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SEXCVrPcc
Yep. That ole boy knows what a turkey sounds like and can flat out reproduce it. Best turkey video I have seen I n a while.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #62
Fuldraw
Fuldraw

Liked 339 Times on 229 Posts

Following

Old 02-18-2017, 05:27 AM   #63
Gamegetter
Administrator
MWT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1243 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Send a message via AIM to Gamegetter

Too late boys. We already missed the peak of the rut. 80 degrees in mid Feb, too hot.

My favorite thing to wear in the spring is a boss gobbler "shawl" draped over my shoulder.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #64
jehrbo
Country Boy Wannabe

Liked 958 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamegetter View Post
Too late boys. We already missed the peak of the rut. 80 degrees in mid Feb, too hot.
You might be right, any good post rut hunting tips?

Old 02-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #65
ELKMO41

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Sit with your gun muzzle shoulder at the direction he's approaching, gives you a wider swing. Early season, few leaves on trees they will sound closer, late season full leaf out they will sound farther away, the additional cover will allow a closer set up. Don't over choke, start with full, the excitement will mess with your aim the first few shots.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #66
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 6919 Times on 4616 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamegetter View Post
It will pick up again when the may snow and sleet get here.

Its probably the duckers fault.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #67
jeepers

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
From pre daylight until 1pm when shooting time ends. Myself , I would stick and stay. Chasing and pressuring birds on 100 acres can burn a spot out pretty quick. .02
i think this is my biggest mistake... i get impatient and think i set up in the wrong spot and want to move...

Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 AM   #68
IL Tomchaser

Liked 67 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Teach Me How to Turkey Hunt

The Mossberg is a turkey killing machine

1. Learn to cluck and purr on your calls. I actually only yelp occasionally. Seems more natural and they seem to not hang up so much. Try to make him hunt you. If he is gobbling and coming straight in, set the call down and allow him every effort to do so.

2. Keep your gun on your knee, finger on the safety and be ready from the time you sit down until you leave. Lots of turkeys come in without making a sound. Silent turkeys are a genetic mutation and often paired with long spurs and beards that drag the ground. Move your gun very slowly and kill them.

3. If you walk around, have a nice tree picked out before you call. You may need to hurry and get set up and a good tree is a must.

4. Invest in a COMFORTABLE low profile chair. You don't know how long you will sit there. Move any branches from around your feet. I am right handed so I sit so hopefully the gobbler comes to my left.

5. Sneak in as close as you can at first light in the morning on a gobbling turkey on the roost. 75-100 yards is good. Closer is even better but don't get spotted . There are fewer things to go wrong this way as he flies down and comes closer. I have busted my share off the roost but it is a risk worth taking with hens and obstacles around.

6. Buy a camo face mask and camo gloves.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:52 AM   #69
Dingus

Liked 62 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Don't overhink things, and don't think they are invincible. Some birds are very forgiving and act like they are on a suicide mission. Those are the fun ones. Others seem to have supernatural abilities. Those are the ones that keep you coming back.
I would highly discourage trying to get too close to a bird that was already gobbling on the limb. Move into position after he hits the ground.
Knowing where they are roosted and moving in close while it is still dark is a different story.