You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Other Hunting Topics > Out of State Hunts, Stories & Pics >

Alaska this fall

Old 02-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
Keef

Liked 536 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 93

It is known for its bears but has a lot of deer. Unfortunately the winters can be devastating on the deer herd. I've heard that as much as 70% of the herd can be wiped out by a bad winter. I've got to do more checking to see how this winter has been before I finalize my plans.

About the bears, the worse thing is they will come running at the sound of a shot, however, I'll be bowhunting. Also, if they smell blood they will follow it. That's the main reason we want a guide. Several years ago we hunted brown bear and got false charged by a big brownie. It stopped at 15 feet. It gets the heart pounding. By the way, my wife got it on video.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
h_callahan

Liked 548 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 2062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef View Post
It is known for its bears but has a lot of deer. Unfortunately the winters can be devastating on the deer herd. I've heard that as much as 70% of the herd can be wiped out by a bad winter. I've got to do more checking to see how this winter has been before I finalize my plans.

About the bears, the worse thing is they will come running at the sound of a shot, however, I'll be bowhunting. Also, if they smell blood they will follow it. That's the main reason we want a guide. Several years ago we hunted brown bear and got false charged by a big brownie. It stopped at 15 feet. It gets the heart pounding. By the way, my wife got it on video.

good grief my wife gets scared when coyotes howl a mile off let alone filming a bear charge you got a one in a million with her Keef

Old 02-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
DAYMAN65

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice times Roy, sounds like you are having good time, you should lets us enjoy that video of that bear lol

Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #14
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 6919 Times on 4616 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Sounds like a great time. Ive read a lot of articles about them.

Its probably the duckers fault.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #15
Keef

Liked 536 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Dayman and anyone else interested in seeing the brown bear video.

I'm sending a copy of the DVD to Mailman next week. If you want to contact him, he'll send it to you and you can pass it around. Feel free to make a copy of it.

The hunt was on the American Archer and is about 22 minutes long. The other video is 42 minutes long and has a lot more about the hunt. I'm sending him the long version.

My wife did a great job of videoing the hunt. We saw a lot of bears, otters, fox, and deer. The charge is pretty exciting. I'll let the video speak for itself. If you watch it I hope you like it. The hunt was one of those bucket list hunts I never thought I'd get to experience.

h_callahan Likes This